Monday, January 11, 2016

S(no)w More Fun - January 11, 2016

With Sister Daughety and the member she watched the Devotional with


Hello and Happy Monday friends and family! I trust you all had a good week as life has been going back to normal. It's kind of great hearing about all my friends going back to the Y and my family going back into the regular routine of work and school. Kinda wish I could be there but I more like being out here in Maine enjoying this winter weather. So all the snow and ice that had built up the week after Christmas has basically disappeared as it rained all last night. Which is cool in theory or in van, but Sister Daughety and I don't have the van on Sundays so we braved the wind and the rain on our way to a lesson with an investigator last night. It honestly could have been worse; we had layers on and it was 43 degrees so we weren't freezing. It's also funny to say it was 43 degrees because two years ago saying that I would have cried. But I guess Maine has broken the Arizona girl haha.
               But with the rain we are lot less worried when we go out walking on the sidewalks. Not that we ever slipped... Ok well I did Wednesday and it really hurt. I basically fell and went "why...?" Classic Sister Wright. Sister Daughety said I took it like a champ though. Problem is I tried to catch myself which was a bad idea because my shoulder had to suffer for it so it was sore a couple three days. It's good now!
The appointment we walked to last night was really cool too because we have been working with this investigator for a while to pray at the end of our lessons but she would always tell us she didn't feel ready to do it. This time we made sure weren't leaving without her saying the prayer (obviously a lot more loving than that) and promised her that we weren't asking her to say the prayer to check it off a list of to-do's, but to help her communicate with our Heavenly Father and to help her sincerely ask if the Book of Mormon is true. And she did it! It was the shortest, simplest, sincerest, sweetest prayer I have heard and the Spirit really touched me and more importantly her. The entire journey up there in the wind and rain I pondered and wondered why I was walking in the middle of Maine in a rain storm just to have a 20 minute lesson. Somehow amongst my mental prayers the hymn "Count Your Blessings" began to play in my head and honestly when you are wet and tired the last thing you want to do is count your blessings. But the lyrics "Count your many blessings angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journey's end" kept repeating and whenever they crossed my mind I felt a little stronger. And that lesson and prayer just proved to me right there why what I was doing was so important.
I don't want to make it sound like yesterday was the only day of miracles but it was the Sabbath so it was by default a more spiritual day. We had the opportunity to watch the CES/YSA broadcast with President Nelson last night with some members in the ward. If you have the opportunity to read/watch that devotional I would highly recommend doing so! I really enjoyed having the opportunity to listen to President and Sister Nelson's inspired words to us "millennials" for many reasons: 1. It really threw me back to my days at the Y, even though it took place at BYU- Hawaii. 2. It definitely was directed towards my age group and letting us know we are a chosen generation. 3. (The saddest/weirdest/realest reason) At first we tried to watch the devotional on the member's smart TV but the streaming wasn't working and it switched to regular TV for a second and I caught 5 seconds of the Golden Globes. If you know me, you know I am obsessed with awards shows and when that came on my first thought was: "The golden globes are happening and no one told me?!?!" And as everyone else went along their business putting  the devotional back on I remembered that I was a missionary, and that this time I have dedicated to serving the Lord I shouldn't be focusing on things like awards shows. And then I realized how much I had grown, how even though I still kinda wanted to watch the award show, the Spirit I felt watching the Devotional and being surrounded by those with my beliefs and standards was more powerful and compelling and made me want to do better. The world is pretty easy to ignore once you turn it off.
Now that I've hit you with two spiritual experiences, I want to let everyone know Lynn is doing well! She was so excited yesterday to be receiving a visiting teaching assignment, she almost cheered in the chapel when the relief society president came to give it to her (which taught me that I should be that excited for visiting teaching when I go home). We also spent some time Thursday at the local Family History Center setting up her Familysearch.org account so she can prepare names for when she goes to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. As we were going it was hard for Sister Daughety and me to get a read on her thoughts on the experience but once we got her paternal side set up we looked at her fan chart and she again went "WOW!" I love Lynn. She reminds me that the basics of the church and the gospel should be celebrated. And it all starts with faith.
Well I hope you all have a good upcoming week and that you got something spiritual from this email. May we all continue to be blessed!
Love,

Sister Wright
"When the clearance section at Walmart was clearly calling your name"

No comments:

Post a Comment